Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Writing Dedication - Bob Brien

5 April 2006

Writing Dedication - Bob Brien

Posted by Bob Keith at 4/5/2006 1:30 AM 

Categories: writing inspiration

My English 101 Instructor at Madison Area Technical College (they are called Instructors at tech school) was a guy named Bob Brien.  Enthused for writing by his determination to instill some notion of good taste in our writing, I asked him if I could read some of his work.  "I've never written anything," Mr. Brien said.  "Why not," I asked rather taken aback.  "- Never had anything to say," he said, and then a bit of a smile could just barely be detected on his ruddy Upper Peninsula face.  

I think in my struggling ability to understand unwritten and colloquial communication, Mr. Brien had just thrown me the old caveat of, "If you ain't got nothing good to say, you might want to explore keeping your pie-whole shut."  Here's to you Mr. Brien.  I always seem to remember your thought on the issue of written necessity just about the time I am about to write something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment