Monday, May 1, 2006

The author taking a break in Eastern Saigon

The author taking a break in Eastern Saigon

Posted by Bob Keith at 5/1/2006 1:30 AM

Categories: Vietnam -pictures from



One of my favorite places is on the east side of Saigon on the other side of the river.  It is a departure from the Westernized main city and its big modern buildings and breakneck commerce pace.  But, the roads on the other side of the river are mostly unpaved and my driver's motor bike tire picked up a nail.  Never fear - there is a cafe every 25 yards in many places.  Likewise, there is a repair shop every 25 yards as well.  If one has a couple plastic kindergarden chairs, a stump for a table, and a cooler full of Coca-cola you have a cafe.  If you have an air pump, a tire repair kit, and a screw driver you have a motor bike repair shop.

My mini DVD camera was giving me trouble the whole trip so it never bothered me to have an excuse to stop and put it back together again.  In the picture is a shady tree, a river view, a small chair, a class of Coca-cola, a tree stump for a table, and my driver's cigarettes - the consumate Vietnamese cafe.  Photo by Heide Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment